Tuesday, July 8, 2014

In My Therapy Bag | Chanda from Pink Oatmeal



Vacation is over for me, so it's back to blogging! Today I'd like to welcome Chanda of Pink Oatmeal for another installment of In My Therapy Bag! Chanda is a pediatric physical therapist, with an almost one year old son, and she regularly blogs about activities for infants and toddlers, as well as her thoughts on baby equipment from a physical therapist's perspective. Today she was kind enough to stop by and share a must-have item in her therapy bag.
 


What’s In My Therapy Bag?

There’s a lot of stuff in my therapy bag! However, the one thing that never leaves my therapy bag is my sidewalk chalk. As a physical therapist that works in the school systems I travel in between different buildings. This means that I don’t have a physical therapy room. Sometimes I can use an OT room; sometimes I can use the hallway or a gym. Then there are the times where there isn’t enough space to work at all! As a physical therapist, I often work on large motor skills which means my kids need to MOVE.  Small spaces just don't do it for me. Getting outside is usually my best option. That’s when my sidewalk chalk comes in so handy. I can create an entire therapy room outside. I can use my chalk to make a room from my youngest to oldest kids!

My favorite things to do with my sidewalk chalk include:


  • Balance Beams
  • Ladders
  • Hopscotch
  • Starting Lines and Finish Lines
  • Stepping Stones or Lily Pads
  • Obstacle Courses
  • Kids Choice

There’s nothing better than the ability to bring your therapy room outdoors with something as simple as sidewalk chalk. It's a fabulous way to create "therapy spaces" for the individual child and the kids have a great time helping me create the space. Don't forget your sidewalk chalk in your therapy bag! 

Connect with Chanda at Pink Oatmeal for more ideas!




Have an item in your therapy bag that you'd like to share? I'd love for you to share it in an upcoming post! Just send me an email, AbbyPediatricOT {at} gmail {dot} com for more information. Open to all therapists! You don't have to be a blogger to participate!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also enjoy: